Vap Yap is founder and CEO of PolicyPal, a Singapore-based insurtech that is now a part of AMTD Group. The startup has recently grown to the point that it is making acquisitions and expanding into new markets.
Val spoke with DigFin‘s Jame DiBiasio about the company’s history, its acquisitions, and entering new verticals. She provided insight into the changing dynamics of insurtech companies and their “frenemy” relationships with the insurance carriers they help serve – as well as what it takes to compete with an app in a world of giant tech platforms.
Finally, Val also penned a business memoir, “Balls Inc.”, about her journey as a female founder, and she spoke about the impact the book has had on her own life and in helping other women entrepreneurs.
- 0:00 – Val Yap, PolicyPal
- 1:28 – PolicyPal’s mission and evolution
- 3:46 – Acquiring Value Champion
- 5:08 – Entering new verticals
- 5:24 – Creating new insurtech products
- 7:14 – Platform competition
- 10:55 – Winning customer attention and trust
- 13:42 – Competing versus partnering with insurance cos.
- 15:29 – State of insurtech v Big Tech, incumbents
- 20:11 – Expanding PolicyPal into new geographies
- 23:09 – Val’s memoir “Balls Inc.” as a female founder