Venkatesh Saha, Wise, on payments, DigFin VOX Ep 6
Wise’s Venkatesh Saha talks about scaling, wooing regulators, and the competition in payments fintech.
Venkatesh Saha is Singapore-based head of international expansion and partnerships at Wise, the cross-border payments fintech previously known as TransferWise.
Saha speaks with DigFin about the challenges involved with entering new markets around the region, and the all-important relationships with regulators. He also touches the competition, navigating uneven payment systems, and how fintech is driving down the cost of remittances.
- Show notes:
- 0:00 – Venkatesh Saha, Wise
- 1:00 – Intro to cross-border payments, challenges
- 3:00 – Wise’s conversations with regulators
- 3:55 – When incumbents aren’t helpful
- 5:25 – Leveraging domestic faster-payments systems
- 7:25 – Are you scaling as you grow, or fragmenting?
- 9:45 – Are banks copying your tech?
- 11:00 – Visa/Mastercard partnerships
- 12:55 – Crypto competition to payment fintech
- 14:25 – Biometrics, eKYC, and databases
- 15:15 – Wise’s wishlist for business development
Banking & Payments2 weeks ago
HSBC doubles down on corporate platform banking
Banking & Payments1 week ago
Ripple looks to Asia for growth in blockchain finance
Banking & Payments3 weeks ago
What a CBDC means for Hong Kong’s payment wallets
Banking & Payments4 weeks ago
Tokenized deposits | Naveen Mallela, J.P. Morgan | VOX 57
Capital Markets3 weeks ago