How quickly will robo-advisory take off in Asia?
\Kelvin Lei is co-founder of Magnum Research, the Hong Kong company behind Aqumon, a robo-advisor business that caters both to wealth managers and has a direct consumer platform.
Aqumon is also notable for working for banks both in mainland China and externally.
Lei discusses with Jame DiBiasio why robo and wealthtech is growing fast in Hong Kong, the opportunities for Hong Kong-mainland integrated business (“the Greater Bay Area”) and the next drivers of the industry.
- 0:00 – Kelvin Lei, Aqumon
- 1:08 – State of robo advisory in Asia
- 3:16 – SaaS portfolio construction versus product selection
- 5:07 – Serving retail and private banks
- 7:38 – Robo’s value proposition for private banks
- 9:59 – Wealth management’s future
- 11:05 – HK/SG versus mainland Chinese clients
- 16:40 – What to expect from Greater Bay Area
- 18:13 – Accessing engineering talent in Shenzhen
- 21:07 – Assets under management, profitability
- 22:26 – Fund raising from VCs
- 23:22 – Project with Two Sigma
- 25:15 – The direction of technology’s travel
- 26:28 – Gamification in wealth management
- 27:20 – The future of wealthtech in Hong Kong