Ian Gillard is senior executive vice president at Bangkok Bank, where his remit includes digitalization, going mobile, blockchain projects, cloud, and analytics. He is also a member of the board at DLT vendor R3.
Asia’s leading domestic banks are profitable and powerful brands, and they are using technology to drive changes more aggressively than most banks in the West.
Gillard speaks with DigFin‘s Jame DiBiasio about the bank’s digital journey into mobile, how to generate customer insights, fintech “frenemies”, and the Bank of Thailand’s encouragement of going cashless. He is bullish on prospects for tokenization.
- 0:00 – Ian Gillard, Bangkok Bank
- 1:10 – About Bangkok Bank
- 2:39 – Bangkok Bank’s first digital products
- 3:09 – The bank goes mobile
- 3:18 – Corporate versus consumer banking digitization
- 4:30 – How well do you really know your consumers?
- 7:13 – Gaining customer insight, the learning process
- 8:06 – Where tech can take banking
- 9:09 – Fintechs as competitors and as partners
- 10:56 – Prospects for virtual banks in Thailand
- 13:30 – Thailand is going cashless, and Bank of Thailand’s work
- 17:41 – Retail CBDCs / digital currency, and tokenization
- 19:45 – Developing blockchain-based trade finance