Asset & Wealth Management
Blockchain for FIs | Nicole Olson & Patrick Campos
How close are financial institutions to operating on blockchain rails – and why do they want to be there?
How close are financial institutions to operating on blockchain rails – and why do they want to be there? Nicole Olson and Patrick Campos speak with Jame DiBiasio about foundational changes.
Nicole is with State Street Digital, the new division at the global custodian bank, working on product design and innovation. She discusses how State Street is approaching blockchain to serve asset managers and asset owners, and how the technology is sweeping through the industry.
Joining her is Patrick from Securrency, a blockchain-related technology company that works with banks such as State Street to help build the tools so they can integrate traditional operations with blockchain models, from DeFi automation to compliance.
- 0:00 – Nicole Olsen and Patrick Campos
- 1:06 – The big questions in DLT and tokenization for buy sides
- 4:11 – Crypto innovations adapted for institutional DLT
- 6:36 – Are banks playing offense or defense?
- 9:07 – Building hybrid apps that can interface with blockchains without being native
- 12:57 – Financial institutions are still stuck on mainframes so how can they ever do blockchain?
- 16:00 – Public versus private chains, ecosystems and interoperability
- 18:29 – How to create interoperability, standards, and “SWIFT on steroids”
- 21:52 – Turning the role of intermediaries inside out, helping clients know the asset rather than reconcile positions
- 23:16 – How ready are buy sides, do fund management CEOs really understand digital assets?
- 26:03 – Next milestones, from private markets to a digital dollar