Herston Powers is co-founder and partner at 1982 Ventures, a Singapore-based venture capital firm that focuses on fintech.
Powers says now is a great time for seed investing into new fintech companies in Southeast Asia. He is backing the next wave of founders, many coming out of the region’s giant e-commerce businesses.
He discusses what sectors of fintech are attractive, the state of fund-raising in today’s tough macro environment, and the future of IPO opportunities.
- 0:00 – Herston Powers, 1982 Ventures
- 1:03 – Founding a VC company focused on fintech
- 5:15 – The growth thesis for Southeast Asian fintech startups
- 8:36 – Innovation versus regulatory arbitrage
- 10:39 – Managing the costs of financial compliance
- 11:45 – What differentiates today’s fintech founders
- 14:46 – Which financial services verticals are promising
- 20:00 – Helping portfolio companies navigate surprises
- 22:13 – Fund raising from LPs
- 25:17 – Valuations
- 26:36 – Exit opportunities
- 28:11 – IPO prospects in Asia and the US