Michael Shaulov is founder and CEO of Fireblocks, a New York-based company building infrastructure for crypto. His background is in cyber-security, first with the Israeli military, then running his own startup which he later sold to Check Point. Three years ago he set up Fireblocks to be “the SWIFT of crypto”.
The firm has recently announced the completion of a $133 million Series C funding round, with investors including BNY Mellon and Silicon Valley Bank.
He speaks with DigFin about what’s exciting in the crypto space right now, from DeFi to stablecoins such as Diem; about how he’s investing the Series C proceeds; the increasing cyber-security threats to crypto and why he’s optimistic the industry will overcome these; and Bitcoin’s environmental challenge.
- Show notes:
- 0:00 – Michael Shaulov, Fireblocks
- 1:50 – Fireblock’s $133m Series C round
- 7:10 – Core banking systems for crypto
- 8:45 – “The SWIFT of crypto”? Clearing and security
- 14:00 – The spectrum of cyber security threats
- 16:45 – Traceability, DeFi risks, & other troubles
- 18:40 – Can crypto outpace the hackers?
- 22:10 – Security on your mobile
- 23:35 – Work on Project Diem, treasury functions for crypto
- 27:40 – Most exciting? Stablecoins X DeFi
- 29:25 – Crypto’s environmental challenge